On a budget? Keep that hard earned cash, we got you covered! From enjoying the great outdoors to touring historical main streets, here are 15 free things you can do for fun in New Iberia and Iberia Parish.
1. Take a selfie with the Conrad Rice Mill in New Iberia or with the weirdest object you can find at the Konriko Company Store. And don't forget to taste the free rice samples!
2. Sample the newest products at the Tabasco Country Store. Tabasco ice cream anyone?
3. Enjoy a downtown stroll. Self-guided tour maps for New Iberia's National Register Historic District and James Lee Burke's Iberia are available here and at the local welcome center. And did we mention our historical trilingual markers will help you brush up on your French and Spanish?
4. View 240 different bird species at Spanish Lake in New Iberia and Rip’s Rookery on Jefferson Island. This ibis was immortalized by Frank Garacci at Rip's Rookery.
5. Browse through art galleries yearlong and during the spring and fall creative markets in downtown New Iberia.
7. Watch the Acadiana Dragon Boat Races on Bayou Teche.
8. Enjoy fais-do-do’s at the World Championship Gumbo Cook-Off, El Festival Espanol de Nueva Iberia and the Delcambre Shrimp Festival.
9. Catch a parade for Mardi Gras, Magic on Main (Holidays) or the Louisiana Sugar Cane Festival.
10. Meet your new favorite authors and see the Iberia Performing Arts League make Dave Robicheaux's books come to life at the Books Along the Teche Literary Festival.
11. Attend Iberia Cultural Resources Association’s concerts in December and February at the St. Peters Catholic Church in New Iberia, and in April and July in New Iberia City Park. Delight in live theatrical vignettes on New Iberia's award-winning Main Street at New Iberia Beneath the Balconies.
13. Enjoy the Iberia Parish Library's free programs, which include lectures, dance lessons, music, fitness, crafts, cooking and kids activities.
14. Grab your kayak and explore the national Bayou Teche Paddle Trail, which meanders throughout four Louisiana parishes.
15. Fish 'till you drop at Iberia's 24 lakes and 15 public boat launches, including Bayou Carlin Cove in Delcambre and Vermilion Bay at Cypremort Point.